Monday, March 7, 2016

Week number 2 in the field!

This week went by so quickly!!!
 
It was a really good week! There were a couple of days in a row that all of our appointments cancelled on us and we didn't have much luck finding anyone to teach that day. It was a humbling experience for me because it made me realize how blessed I am to be in a mission or at least an area where that typically is not the case. It made me grateful for all of the opportunities that I get to sit down in someone's home and share a lesson with them. I feel like that is a good thing to learn early on.
 
We also had two baptisms this week! I haven't been here for all of the lessons with the mother and daughter that were baptized, but I am so grateful that I got to be here for part of them and to get to know this amazing mother of 6 and her daughters. She had heard of the gospel before and some of her daughters had already been baptized. The Lord prepared her in her own time though, and when she started meeting with Sister Lopez and her previous companion she said she was finally ready for the gospel in her life. It was such an amazing experience being there for their baptisms. One of her younger daughters, 7 years old, wanted to sing a song at the baptism. Sister Lopez and I taught her the first verse of "I am a Child of God", and she went home and practiced it all weekend, annoying her sisters in the process! She has such a beautiful voice for such a tiny human! At the baptism she wanted Sister Lopez and I to stand and sing with her. We tried to be quiet so everyone could hear her amazing voice. It was such a blessing to be standing beside her because I could see the love, joy, and pride welling up in her mom as she cried watching her daughter sing. It was amazing.
 
A couple of interesting things happened during those couple of days we didnt have much luck. One man can to the door, and before we could speak, he said " I know your mission and I'm not interested, so you're wasting your time." Our mission president want us to get "3 no's before we go", and I could see Sister Lopez about to do that, she is so sweet, and such a good missionary. So I said quickly while we still had his attention, "We appreciate your honesty, and we know God loves you, have a good day." We turned to leave and after a few moments, he said.." He loves you too".. I said "thank you, I know, I'm so grateful for that, I love Him!"
Another boy that answered the door shook our hands, and after shaking my hand told us he was allergic. I don't know exactly to what he was referring, the gospel, missionaries, me? We had a good laugh though.
 
I am so grateful for my comapion. She is so down to earth, kind and nurturing with the people we teach. She reminds me a lot of my mom actually, which is a great thing because my mom is one of the best humans on the planet if not the best :)
 
In other news, we've had more fun on our bikes... every time we park them at a certain appartment, someone messes with our seats. The first time someone put them all the way down and turned them backwards. The second time they raised them all the way up and we didnt realize until we tried to get on! We always get a good laugh out of it though!
 
Also the weather in Utah is crazy! Saturday it was sunny and almost 70 degress. Sunday morning it was cloudy, rainy, and so windy we thought there might be a tornado when we left in the morning. On our way home from the 3 church services we went to, we got to ride in the biggest hail I've ever seen! It was exciting... To top it off, we got to ride home at the end of the night in snow! Don't worry though, it's sunny and melted today!
 
This week I have learned once again how simple the gospel truly is. Faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, Repentance, Baptism, the Holy Ghost, and living the gospel are all so interwoven, one leads to the other and we are never finished. One thing that I learned today is that all of these things are for sactification. They all cleanse us so that we can return to live with our Father in Heaven. I continue to gain more and more appreciation for my Savior. I know that eveything we have is only because of Him. I love this scripture form the Book of Mormon: "And we talk‍ of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy‍ of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children‍ may know to what source they may look for a remission‍ of their sins." -2 Nephi 25:26
Christ loves us all so much, and knows us all so indiviually. I am so grateful for this time to serve Him and grow closer to Him!
Continue emailing me through out the week as you have time! :) I love reading them! Sorry if I don't get around to responding to them all individually but know that I get them and they make me very happy!

Love,
Sister Kirkpatrick

No comments:

Post a Comment